Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanksgiving Drinks




I am so thirsty!
Not too long ago, I could hear my voice drown out yours
whenever we cried out for this cup to be taken.
But, now I am anxious with thirst.

I’ve tasted and seen that you are good.
That you, beyond all others, are able to light, to create, to live
In the meaningless void that once threated to move to the center of my being. 
When I took the cup and drank it I knew it required my willingness
To follow you into the paradox of divine love;
Where darkness, dust and death become reminders of the center yet to be recovered.
But now my thirst is unrelenting!

It wasn’t that you chose my cup as your own,
Remotely inspiring me to go on; or assuring me that I am not alone from afar.
I’ve experienced you in both the presence and absence of love;
In love’s immanence and transcendence.
When I take the cup and drink it, when I receive the bread and eat it,
You are nourishing me with your very presence!
Love and grace are made tangible in the offering of your body and blood.
And I have never been more thirsty for you!

Oh Father, would you empower me to be light where darkness reigns?
To create alongside you where ashes and dust make unfertile ground?
To know the power of life resurrected while still knowing the defeat of death?
Christ, enliven me by your love until I find myself in deeper relationship
With all those a part of your body, and especially those who have yet to realize it.
Spirit, would you awaken us to sense your real incarnate presence
Around us, between us, within us?
Use this little cup one more time to love us, accept us,
And further mark the ugliest parts of us cruciform.

I’m so sorry it’s been so long.
Forgive me for being late to the table so often.
Please receive my thanks and praise today.
Satisfy my thirst, yet leave me wanting more forever…

No comments:

Post a Comment